Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Power Supplies

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Power Supplies
From: Don Allen <w9cw@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 12:50:22 -0500
I use two Astron RS-35M supplies which are on the carpeted floor beneath the operating desks for the HF rigs, with the exception for the 280 linear for my old Omni A Series B. I've tested a number of switching supplies, including the Astron SS-30M, the Samlex units, and others. The best of the lot IMO is the Alinco DM-330MV (built in Japan BTW). I have one in my station, but only use it for my VHF/UHF gear. I've used it on HF for testing purposes, and it's good, plus you can move any perceptible hash off frequency with the noise offset control - a rather unique feature. And, most important for a switcher, the fan is practically inaudible due to the extensive use of heat sink - the entire top of the PS is a heat sink. The Chinese have copied the Alinco design, and several companies, such as QJE, now sell it, but I assure you the performance is not the same.

73
Don W9CW