Re: [TenTec] Dipole Over Pool Enclosure

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Dipole Over Pool Enclosure
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 21:13:13 -0500
I wouldn't be too concerned about the dipole over the pool enclosure. It would be quasi like a dipole over the earth at a height of 5 ft.

I would be concerned about the Titan amp, specifically running that much power, as some of the aluminum structure might appear with some interesting resonant nodes. Also, the typical poor and oxidized mechanical connections of the pool enclosures I've seen might act like a diode junction and generate RF due to the rectification between dissimilar metals. Generally this is not RF you'd be proud to claim as the owner.

Also, I'd say that any occupants under the antenna, in and around the pool are likely to be exposed to RF fields in excess of those prescribed by the FCC.

You're a ham, try it. If it smokes, then you know it was a bad idea. If it works, then enjoy the DX. If the neighbors complain about RFI then look for more real estate. Basically I say "more power = more problems".

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: <knoxcol@aol.com>