Re: [TenTec] Centurion problem

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion problem
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 13:56:06 -0600 (CST)
It's been quite some time since I had my Centurion open.  That's good!

As I recall the relays are sealed, thus cleaning is not an option.  I
suggest one open the amp, the relays are at the rear.  See what numbers
are on them and then contact Paul at Tentec Service for replacements.  I
recall that 2 or 3 different brands or models of relays have been used
over the course of the amp production.  I recall the input relay is more
likely at fault.

My thoughts, if the relays are failing, this indicates they are likely
switching with RF on them, otherwise, the exciter is producing RF before
the relays have transitioned and settled.  In other words, switching hot!
 Not good!  Of course if you run a lot of QSK high speed CW, that can
contribute to the issue as well.

On the Omni VI configuration, you do have the two keying lines connected
between the radio and the amp for QSK and you do operate the amp in the
QSK mode,......I hope you do.

73
Bob, K4TAX

-