Re: [TenTec] New or Used Decision; Omni VII

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New or Used Decision; Omni VII
From: Darrell Bellerive <drbellerive.va7to@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:46:38 -0800
This is always a concern purchasing a radio that has been on the market for a while. However if it does all that one needs in a radio, is waiting for a replacement worthwhile? Perhaps a used one is a better value if one thinks a new improved version is not that far off.

I have no inside knowledge, but have to wonder what Ten-Tec's plans are. The Orion design is getting on in years. It does not have six meters, and its bandscope is not all it could be. There is always lots of churn on top of the line radios as contesters and DXers are more likely to upgrade more often than the rest of us. And they always seem to want the latest and greatest and the utmost in performance.

Ten-Tec did just offer an upgraded sub-receiver for the Orion. I think that is an attempt to buy a bit more time for the Orion II until a successor is announced.

This sub-receiver is based on the Eagle receiver design, as is the new Argonaut VI. The Eagle receiver design is getting accolades, and it looks like Ten-Tec has a winner. So, going forward I would expect that any new radios would be based on this receiver design. This would help Ten-Tec to keep costs down as supporting one design with a few derivative versions, is easier than supporting a few completely different designs.

If we look at the current line up there is a QRP rig in the Argonaut VI, a mobile or entry level base in the Eagle, a mid market radio in the Omni VII, and the ultimate from Ten-Tec for the contester and DXer in the Orion II.

My guess is that we will not see a Jupiter II, I think the Eagle has taken its place. I think there is also a hole in the general coverage receiver area, a radio to replace the RX-350.

So my guess, and it is only a guess, is that Ten-Tec will bring out an Orion III with six meters and a better bandscope, an Omni VIII, and an RX-350 replacement. All of the above will be derivatives of the Eagle receiver.

I would also guess that the Orion III will be first as Ten-Tec has the most to lose to the competition in this segment of the market. Then the Omni VIII followed by the RX-350 replacement based on the receiver in the Omni VIII.

73, Darrell VA7TO

Darrell Bellerive