[TenTec] Orion II received is down

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II received is down
From: "Frankie Hunt" <fhunt@bvu.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:46:59 -0500
A 2nd rig comes in really handy here.  Just flip a coax switch and listen on
the other receiver..

You could  check the Antenna buttons for the MAIN RX/TX to make sure the
proper antenna is selected.

You could try other bands.

You could try other times.

You could check the coax connections. Perhaps check the antenna with an
analyzer.

You could do the resets for your radio.

I have found that it is best not to first suspect the radio as the source of
problems. (IMHO coax and antennas go bad MUCH more frequently than radios
do, especially if you take precautions for antenna static discharges)

A few years ago I took my FT817 on an outing and could not make ANY
contacts.  I could only hear a VERY few, VERY weak stations.  I tried
calling them but they could not hear me at all.  I concluded my radio had
issues so I gave up and packed the radio back up.  Later when I got home I
found out that we had a huge solar flare that wiped out the bands!

>From your symptoms it sounds like your radio is behaving fine, you are just
not feeding it a good signal.

Good luck,

Frankie

K4TEN

I worked naqp phone and I could not hear station calling me hardly at all.
They

were very weak. I think I have plenty of audio. The s meter only moves a
little

on receive signals. The s meter works great on transmit.  When I turn the rf

gain up or down it makes a big difference in the audio. I thought the bands

were in very bad shape but  n5ye said the band were fine. I have the band

with(BW) on 3000 cycles and BPT on 0. I see very few signals on the scope on

the front of the rig. Could my problem be one of the plugs behind the front
of

the rig  not makeing good contact?

Any idears

Bill