[TenTec] OMNI VI+ losing sensitivity and power on 12M

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI+ losing sensitivity and power on 12M
From: John Oglesby <john91@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:02:41 -0500
I have been having an issue with my Omni VI+ losing both output power and sensitivity on 12M. This happens randomly while operating. The output of the radio would drop to about 3 watts and sensitivity would drop to almost dead. Changing bands several times usually clears the problem. I thought it was a relay.

I called Ten-Tec and they said it is almost certainly the Xtal Osc/LO Mixer board that has very narrow traces that fracture and doesn't have plated through holes so joints fail on components. They did not recommend sending in the radio as it often takes many hours of effort to find and fix the problem and may turn out to be not repairable.

I'm still not totally bought in to this diagnosis since changing bands seems to temporarily fix things, so I am looking for other opinions.

Does anyone have experience with this problem, or had to repair this board in the past? Any experiences would be good to hear.

Thanks & 73
John
N9RE