Re: [TenTec] Tuner for the Orion II

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuner for the Orion II
From: Donnie Garrett <cfzepp@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 14:08:29 -0500
Rick is correct!

Many years ago (some 40+) and as a young ham I built a nice home brew antenna
tuner. Afterwards I connected my coaxial fed 1/2 wave 80 meter inverted vee
antenna to the tuner. Low and behold it was able to tune out the reactance on
40 meters at 7.035 MHz and my transmitter was very happy to see a 1:1 SWR.
Afterwards I called cw for hours on end with virtually no results. Something
was defiantly wrong!

What I learned as a young ham experimenter was that my coaxial feed line losses
were so high due to the extremely high SWR now present on the coax feed line,
caused by the high feed point impedance of the 80 meter antenna when being used
at 7.035 MHz.

If you do some research you will find that as the SWR goes up so does the feed
line losses in coax. Actually my RF transmitted signal was pretty much being
all lost thru the long run of coax due to the extremely high SWR present on the
coax feed-line, again caused by the 80 meter antenna being used at 7.035 MHz.
Coax feed line has rather high losses as the SWR goes up.

This is where the real beauty of Open-Wire feed line comes into play when used
with a HF multi-band antenna. With open-wire feed-line you can have a very high
SWR on the open wire feed line but the feed line losses will still be very low
and as long as your transmatch can still tune out the reactance your RF signal
will get out!

Since that lesson in time I have only used coax for jumper cables between my HF
tuner and my transceiver / transmitter and or receivers.

You can believe all this or not but it is fact! Trust me!

I'm not against using coax on a single band antenna but when you try to use
coax on a single band dipole as a multi-band antenna your working against your
self.

I would take even plain simple 300 ohm TV twin lead over coax any day of the
week when used as a feed-line on a HF multi band antenna with the exception of
course a multi-band trapped antenna of which I'm not really a fan of.

My personal preference is to use stranded 450 ohm ladder line.

Remember there is far more to all this than just having a tuner that is capable
of tuning out a high SWR ratio.

The proof is in the pudding as the old saying goes.

Donnie / WA9TGT for the past 47 years.

Sent from my iPhone