Re: [TenTec] COMMUNICATIONS SPEAKERS Article

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] COMMUNICATIONS SPEAKERS Article
From: "Paul Kraemer" <elespe@lisco.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:20:37 -0600
Few subjects will probably illicit more passionate response than the one of what speaker should I use.
Simple answer. The one that sounds best to you.
Recent tinkering with my OMNI VI to make it sound better without any extra holes led me to try this speaker
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=292-524
It is a "hi fi" type with a wide response that met my criterion of fit the existing space without sheet metal modification, work better (to my ears) than the factory original, and $10 or less price range.
My final analysis is that it met all criterion.
Although it doesn't mount from behind the sheet metal that holds the speaker it easily drops in from the front with 4 tabs of double stick tape to secure in place and does not interfere with the top cover.
It produces a significantly higher spl than the original.
It has an extended lf response.
It also has an extended hf response which enhanced the hiss factor, not desireable but easily compensated with a small NP electrolytic across the vc.
Just an account of my recent dabbling.
YMMV. It may sound great to you. It may not.
Paul K0UYA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Duane Calvin" <ac5aa1@gmail.com>