Re: [TenTec] Omni VII Speech Processor Question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII Speech Processor Question
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 21:17:15 -0500
In my evaluation of the Omni VII Speech processing system I concluded that there are some 9 definable steps found over the displayed range of 0% to 100%. These are not exactly linear in their appearance. In other words, changing SP value from 18% to 28% did not actually yield any measurable SP level change. However, changing from 28% to 29% nets a 2.4 dB increase as this change transitions from one step to the next step. In another area of the range, a value between 39% and 49% yields no level change but changing from 49% to 50% yields a 3.5 dB change in level.

It is also noted that a SP value between 0% and 6%, I find actually adds 4.3 dB of loss in the audio path. A value of 18% yields a unity gain configuration. In one case I read where the user was operating the SP at 10%. My findings would indicate that this value has added some 3 dB of loss to the audio path.

If one chooses to use the Speech Processor effectively, I suggest a value between 30% to 50% where 30% nets 2.4 dB of processing gain, 39% nets some 5.3 dB of processing gain and 50% nets some 8.8 dB of processing gain. At values above 62% the signal has basically has lost most all of its dynamic range.

I find the steps, related to the value % displayed are found at: 0%, 7%, 18%, 29%, 39%, 50%, 62%, 73%. I was not able to identify the other two steps as my method of measurement allowed the radio to enter the ALC range thus the output was no longer increasing.

On the down side of any processing application, since the processor raises the average level, it will also raise the average level of any background noise in the radio room by the same amount.

Successful operation of the internal Speech Processor requires that the hardware mike gain be adjusted correctly to attain a DSP MIC gain value of between 35% and 65% for proper ALC action, thus occasional flash of the ALC LED on voice peaks. Then adjust the SP value for the desired average increase in output power without causing a significant increase in back ground noise. Also, careful attention to the mouth-to-mike distance must be employed as working too far from the mike will allow room noise to become more apparent. With the 709A mike, I prefer about 1" distance between the mouth and the mike face. Stating it another way, the more processing employed, the closer one needs to be to the mike face and then the DSP MIC gain will necessarily need to be reduced.

Notes from my earlier tests:
<snip>
I did find is the following data and the actual SP values vs. power output. It is noted that in between the steps there was no power change measured. Case and point, at values between 18% and 28% the power remained at 2.0 watts. Between 28% and 29% the power changed from 2.0 W to 3.5 W. The same held true for other increment of steps. Back some time ago, John Henry confirmed that there are actually 9 steps in the Speech Processor control algorithm.

Power output = 2 W with SP off
With the SP on the following is observed:
0% = 0.75W   or - 4.3 dB
7%  = 1.0W    or - 3 dB
18% = 2.0W   or   0.0 dB
29% = 3.5W   or + 2.4 dB
39% = 6.7W   or + 5.3 dB
50% = 15W    or + 8.8 dB
62% = 40W    or + 13.0 dB
73% = 70W or + 15.4 dB ALC is now on and no further increase in SP gain produced any increase in output power

This does concur that the effective SP value should be about 40% to 50% to attain some 6 to 8 dB of increase in average output power.
<snip>

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richards" <jruing@ameritech.net>