Re: [TenTec] Omni VII Speech Processor Question

To: <n4py3@earthlink.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII Speech Processor Question
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 15:56:31 +0100
OK Carl, that makes sense.
But the DSP operates quite like an RF clipper, in that the "harmonic"
distortion that AF clippers typically have is not present in it.
In that respect, both DSP compression and RF compression are superior to AF
compression.
I agree, I can't see a reason for the RF compression to be better than DSP.

What I have understood based on feedback from people who have had the 715
and its predecessor, it makes a big difference compared to older rigs with
no speech processor or just AF processors, but not much difference compared
to new rigs with DSP compression.

73
Rick, DJ0IP