Re: [TenTec] A Fun Day with Ham Radio, and a Question about Portable Ope

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] A Fun Day with Ham Radio, and a Question about Portable Operating
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:29:56 +0200
Jim is absolutely right on that point.

In 1975 I went on a contest DX-pedition to Liechtenstein (HB0) in the Swiss
alps.
We had rented a cabin about half way up the mountain.
On 20m we had a Hygain 203-BA 3 element monoband beam for 20m, and a
Heathkit SB-200 amp with about 600w.

I had a Heathkit HW-32, 20m monoband transceiver with about 60w out, as
mobile rig.  My mobile antenna was a home-brew center-loaded whip.
I drove up near the top of the mountain, found a spot where I could park
with my car oriented so that the best radiation pattern favored Stateside.

We then ran comparison QSOs with stateside (before the contest) and my 60w
mobile was stronger in the states than the 600w into a 3 element beam, every
time.

But in the mountains, you don't have a very good ground.  You really need to
stretch out about 8 radials to get an efficient vertical antenna.  12 would
be better.

With that and 20w CW or 50w SSB, you will work the world!

73
Rick, DJ0IP