Re: [TenTec] Built in SWR meter bannans

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Built in SWR meter bannans
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 16:38:37 -0700
On 4/23/2013 1:47 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
Jim,

Thanks for the details.  I have noted your suggestion for future use.
I'm not sure what THHN wire is, but I will google it.  I'm sure we have it
here, but under a different name.
You said ordinary house wire, but I don't know what ordinary (American)
house wire is.

It is solid copper with a PVC insulation, and is the type used for wiring inside the walls of a building. AWG #12 describes the diameter and is rated for 20A.

  Is that like Zip Cord?

I had so much trouble burning up baluns back in the 80s that I have switched
to using only Teflon insulated wire for my chokes and baluns.

Wrong change. Chokes fail because the common mode current is too high, and that happens because their common mode choking impedance is too low. Study the discussion of chokes in my RFI tutorial.

  What I
typically use is a Teflon-coated twin-wire sourced locally with 0,75mm
diameter.  This would be about AWG-21. You don't even have to tape it
together.  For more power, then I use thicker Teflon insulated wire and tape
it together, which is work I totally detest.  That's the hardest part of
making a choke or balun.  And the special tape I bought must be gold-plated;
I paid 25 EURO ($30) for a tiny little roll. (hi)

AWG #21 is quite under-rated for the current that can be present in a transmission line carrying a legal limit transmitter. #21 may be enough for a 600 ohm line that is well matched, but not for a lower Z, and not if there's mismatch.

73, Jim K9YC