Re: [TenTec] Built in SWR meter bannans

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Built in SWR meter bannans
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 09:18:30 +0200
Charles, you are digging back in history now.
In fact the story I told was closer to 30 years ago.
A lot has changed in the meantime, including my knowledge on the subject.

Back then, I bought (for that time in history) some very expensive
commercial baluns and they still burned up.
It's not a question of money, it's a question of knowledge (in that case,
lack of it).

You can't 'always' just add more ferrite.
Most of my operations in the past 30 years have been portable, using
lightweight fiberglass poles.
Even one single FT-240 is too heavy for the top of the pole.  You have to
drop the feedpoint down the pole.
If you drop the feedpoint down the pole, you lose height.  Height is might.

The solution involves more than the choke.
So the target is to get it right, without over-doing it.
So this brings me back to the question I posed earlier, just how much
ferrite do you really need for different power levels and for different
applications?

I would like to see some real life examples:
How much do we need in a beam?
How much do we need in a dipole?
How much do we need if the choke is between an openwire fed dipole and an
asymmetrical matchbox?

SPECIFICS please.  "Enough" is not very helpful.

Jim gave us some exact examples in an earlier post and that is very useful.
Steve has an excellent web site showing some specific recommendations of
chokes we can build.
See: http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/chokes/
THAT is what helps the ham community, not statements about spending money or
find another hobby.

Also best regards,

Rick, DJ0IP