Re: [TenTec] OMNI VII Panadapter

To: rmcgraw@blomand.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VII Panadapter
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 00:12:49 -0400
Yes, I am.   Thanks for the uptake.

I long ago moved on and have neither expectation nor desire concerning a continuous Omni VII spectrum scope.

No bitterness or negative outlook about it or TT - I just gave up on it. Sometimes a manufacturer with the best of intentions cannot, for any number of reasons, produce a particular product, and I know TT would never do it half way. I also know how sincerely frustrated and disappointed JH is about it, also. But it is a human enterprise and not a perfect world. Lots of fun plans don't pan out.

In any case, I cannot see paying $600 or more on an internal spectrum scope, no matter how continuous and updating it might be. It is not going to add $600 more fun or utility to the rig, at least not for me. Others' mileage may vary considerably.

I spent my spectrum scope money on a $100 IQ-based SDR kit from Funk Amateur in Germany, and I recently bought a Jupiter as a second radio. I can live with the static, time-slice sweep I now have, which is really fun enough, and use the SDR or the Jupiter or my RX-320D as a second receiver with N4py's program.

I really like the RX-320D and I expect I will enjoy the Jupiter as a second rig, although my example does not work right, and I shipped it TT HQ for service today. It is drawing way too much current and has low power out on some bands - funny that my power supplies all dip from 13.94 to as low as 10.5 v while transmitting with the Jupiter, but not the Omni VII... which is not good.

I have faith in the TT service crew, and it will return soon enough, fit as a fiddle and ready for action.

Thanks for the uptake, BM !