Re: [TenTec] ORION ll

To: "Bob Gibson" <w5rg@yahoo.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION ll
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 22:04:01 -0500
If you've cut the BW down to 2.1 KHz then that is the bandwidth. Now, what is likely taking place is that you are using excessive processing or the mike gain is too high or you are overdriving the input stage. Once the input stage is over driven then no amount of reducing anything will correct the concern. Reduce the hardware mike gain and be sure that what ever is feeding the input is not overdriving the stages. There's two different mike gains, one being the hardware gain and the other the DSP mike gain.

What's a VX2000? Oh, I did look it up on the web. I suggest a good mike connected direct to the MIC input is all that is needed. My general philosophy is that if it is not a microphone, then don't connect it to the mike input. Everything else should be connected to the AUX or Line input. My suggestion, eliminate the VX2000.

I don't care what or how OTHER radios operate, they are not Orion II's and the Orion II won't operate like OTHER radios. Don't expect it to.......it won't. If you plan to drive a Indy 500 car then learn to drive the Indy 500 car. It doesn't drive and won't drive like anything else.

Sorry Bob, but to the point, the issue is not the Orion II but more likely the things connected to the Orion II and the way the gains are configured. The Orion II with a good mike such at the 707 or the 709 connected direct to the MIC input and the gains and EQ's set correctly will have GREAT AUDIO.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Gibson" <w5rg@yahoo.com>