Re: [TenTec] ORION ll

To: Bob Gibson <w5rg@yahoo.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION ll
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 01:55:59 -0400

On 6/20/2013 10:32 PM, Bob Gibson wrote:

Hi Fellows. I have a new Orionll and I just cannot get the audio right...

I'm using a Behringer B-1 Mic and a VX2000...

        My thoughts parallel what the others are
        saying, and I wonder, just early one, are
        you playing the B-1 and Behringer processor
        through the Orion II microphone input?   That
        is one sure fire way to overdrive the mic input
        and that often yields comments about having RF
        on the microphone.

        On the Sunday afternoon TT equipment, Lloyd said
        I had RF on my mi input, but it was only that I
        had forgotten to change the mic input setting
        after changing headsets from one with relatively
        low output to one with rather high output.
        Adjusting the mic input yielded sufficient
        correction to receive compliments on my audio from
        Lloyd just a few minutes later.  Once I tamed the
        mic input gain, I used stock default settings and
        those always net me compliments on my transmit audio.

        Similarly, for the Orion II - on Field Day the guys
        borrowed an Orion II and were getting complaints
        and snide remarks about their audio - until I
        showed the guys how to reset the entire radio
        to factory defaults (der...I just showed them the
        blip on it in the user manual...)

        I also have a B-1 microphone, and as Bob suggests,
        that type of large diaphragm studio microphone
        is often very sensitive, and as another ham once
        put it, they  "pick up the sound of a gnat's sneeze
        from across the room" - meaning, of course, they
        pick up every sound in the room, including the
        sound of cooling fans, and are much harder to
        effectively close-talk than other types.
        When "close-talking" the microphone, the rig
        tends to pick up the sound of your voice, but
        not so much ambient noise in the shack.

        Heck, even Bob Heil, recommends using a hand-held
        performance type dynamic dynamic microphone
        cartridge for this same reason.

        Moreover, I worry the VR-2000 processor may
        be over driving the audio input channel -
        perhaps the settings that worked for your
        previous rig are too aggressive and too HOT
        for the new one.  I presume you are using the
        Line-In audio input channel on the rig, and
        if not, that is a sure fire way to over drive
        the mic input channel.  (Although I presume
        you know this... so I mention it just to be
        sure.)

        I am convinced one can obtain really good
        transmit audio without external audio accessories.
        You can prove this by listening the many guys
        checking into the TT equipment owner's net on
        Sunday after noon who use regular, plain Jane
        microphones and stock audio settings on the
        rig, alone.

        Consequently, I agree you should remove the
        VR-2000 (or at least only use the mic preamp
        feature) and look to reduce the Line-In input
        gain, and reduce the pre-amp output signal
        strength, using factory stock settings, until
        you find a level that does not over drive the
        rig.  THEN you can work in any other features
        you like, once you know the optimal signal
        strength that produces clear transmit audio.

        I also suspect it would be a lot easier to
        verify the rig is OK by using a regular,
        plain Jane hand held microphone connected to
        the front panel mic input, than to use the B1
        and the preamp on the processor unit.  You can
        work back form there once you achieve clean
        audio output from a simple setup.

        Just MY take...