Re: [TenTec] ORION ll

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION ll
From: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:54:39 +0000
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com> wrote:

> On 6/20/2013 10:32 PM, Bob Gibson wrote:
>
>  Hi Fellows. I have a new Orionll and I just cannot get the audio right...
>>

> I'm using a Behringer B-1 Mic and a VX2000...
>
>  ______________________________**_________________
>>

>         My thoughts parallel what the others are
>         saying, and I wonder, just early one, are
>         you playing the B-1 and Behringer processor
>         through the Orion II microphone input?

I disagree - although the B-1 may (or may not) be a lousy ham mic, it
shouldn't sound distorted with the VX-2000 as long as levels are set
properly and you're driving the AUX audio input.  I used a VX-2000 (and
large diaphragm Marshall mic) for years with my Orion. Currently I use a
Rode Procaster and Aphex 230.

Suggestions:

1. You didn't say - are you feeding the VX-2000 to the AUX input on the
rear panel AUX I/O dongle?  Don't even try to feed it into the front panel
mic jack.

2. Are you running the latest firmware?  If not, install it.  There were
some old versions of firmware that were prone to tx audio distortion.

3. Turn OFF the Orion speech processor (SP) for now, while trying to clean
up your tx audio.  Bear in mind that the Orion speech processor cannot
tolerate any significant low freq energy in the audio - so when you do
eventually use it, you need to set the equalization to roll off the lows
along with a higher L.F. Rolloff,

4.  Set TX EQ (audio menu) between -10 and -15dB for now, while trying to
clean up your tx audio.

73/GL, Barry N1EU