Re: [TenTec] ORION ll

To: Ten-Tec Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION ll
From: Rick W <ve7tk@yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 22:27:50 -0700 (PDT)
Minor correction.  With a TX BW of 2800 and a roll off of 150 the top end is
actually at 2950 Hz.  I think that too would be quite acceptable.

73,
Rick
VE7TK

Website: http://www.ve7tk.com

To:"Bob Gibson" <w5rg@yahoo.com>,       "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment"
<tentec@contesting.com>
From:"Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>

Date:Fri, 21 Jun 2013 23:20:41 -0500

I basically agree with James, "what's wide?". How was it determined that it was
wide? If the TX BW is 2800 Hz and the TX Low End Roll-off is 150 Hz then the
transmitted bandwidth is 2650 Hz. In general that is will within the technical
acceptable standards for SSB bandwidth.Could it be that the Orion II audio
along with the B-1 mike and the VX-2000 is really very clean and thus "sounds"
wide? Could be. Many radios on the bands today along with the hosts of mikes
and applications being used do not have really clean audio. One thing I've
enjoyed about Tentec radios, they have great audio, both on receive and
transmit.Things that make audio sound wide could be excessive ALC action
meaning the MIC audio level is too high and the ALC is very active. Another
thing is a bit of RF getting into the audio that causes a splatter sounding
audio while in actuality the transmitted bandwidth is not wider than the
definition of the filter system, low end and
 TX BW settings.Do head for the manual and the adjustments for the TX Low
frequency roll-off and the TX SSB BW values. To keep things simple, I would
start with a mike connected direct to the MIC input and not use anything else
until one is satisfied all is working correctly. Then add in the AUX equipment
and observe the results.
73
Bob, K4TAX