[TenTec] Amplifier Question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Amplifier Question
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:17:50 -0400
OK...

1) How long do I need to wait before my Centurion amp is warmed up and ready to transmit? The manual says nothing, and I am sure one should not key the exciter too soon. But... how soon is too soon?

2)   What METER do you guys watch, and why?

The right hand meter has four display options. I usually watch the Ig (grid current) meter option, as the manual says this is the most important parameter to monitor. It says it should not exceed 260 ma - I have never seen mine go above 240 ma at any exciter in level. Just one reason I think this is an easy amp to tune.

Does anyone monitor any of the other three meter settings? If so, what are you looking for and why?

The Plate meter hardly ever moves, and the FWD and REF settings do not seem very informative, because the scale markings are designed to convey Grid and Plate information, not power information - and the PEAK POWER meter on the right side more obviously indicates power out. I cannot imagine why one would watch the FWD or REF meter setting - but, know I still have a lot to learn...

Any ideas?