Re: [TenTec] Amplifier Question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Amplifier Question
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 06:39:56 -0500
Basic station set-up:

The Omni VII output is connected direct to the amp input. Also two QSK cables, RCA to RCA, are connected between the amp and transceiver. The output of the amp goes to the input of a Diawa CN-801HP. Power for the CN-801HP is obtained via a separate cable connected to the +12V on the Omni VII. The output of the CN-801HP goes to the input of the 238 tuner using a choke balun, Wireman #8232, between the output of the Diawa and the input to the tuner. All other coax jumpers are RG-8X.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richards" <jrichards@k8jhr.com> To: <rmcgraw@blomand.net>; "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:38 AM

THANK YOU ALL for the quick and helpful answers
about tuning my amp.  The best bit is I am doing
the right thing.

I have a matchbox/tuner with a fairly reliable SWR/WATT meter
beyond the amp, and I watch that power meter, along with the PEAL Power meter on the amp, for power indication, while watching the Ib Grid Meter on on the left side of the amp.

I sometimes get the notion to install a separate watt meter (I built the Ten Tec 1225 SWR/WATT meter a couple of months back) but I would prefer to keep things simple - I figure every patch cable, connector, and gadget in line is a power and impedance "speed bump" and would prefer to keep it simple. But the user manual was a tad skimpy on explaining how and when to use those four little meter settings.

Now supposing I changed my mind and DID want a power meter in line... are there any suggestions on what to use? I have a Daiwa 101L and the TT 1225 kit, but maybe there is a better one.

So... is it worth it, and why? What would it tell me that I cannot already determine from the amp and tuner meters? I see so many of them in other guys' stations, I suppose there must be more to it than the thrill of seeing the needle move or the LEDs light up! ;-)

THANKS, AGAIN.