Re: [TenTec] Amplifier Question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Amplifier Question
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 18:58:58 -0500
The tuner is the last thing in the sequence of equipment before the signals goes out to the antennas. I do use a 238 tuner for the coax fed antennas and a balanced tuner for the balanced fed antennas. The input of the tuner has the choke balun to the output of the SWR/Power meter. Since the coax feeds to the antennas aren't necessarily at 50 ohms, which is the reason we use a tuner, I prefer to have the choke balun in the system where the Z is always 50 ohms and that would be on the input to the tuner.

I find the Diawa 801-HP to be a very good station instrument. I did follow earlier posts and put a wire jumper such that it reads SWR and Peak Hold power. The original models didn't read SWR when selected to read Peak Hold power. There's also some mods to change a couple of time constant parameters but I've not found that necessary. Additionally I did find after doing the modification, but likely not related to installing the mods, a calibration was necessary. This was easy to do for both AVG power and Peak power as well as SWR power for all three ranges. Once calibrated using a known value dummy load and RF voltmeter, my preferred method for power measurement, I find that the Diawa CN801-HP has equal to or better accuracy than my Bird 43P.

I do have additional switching which I didn't describe. There's two transceivers plus the antenna analyzer that has to be switched to the input of the amp along with two different tuners and a dummy load that gets switched on the output of the amp. The objective; (a) adjust either of the tuners using the antenna analyzer such that the input of the tuner is 50 ohms at the desired frequency. (b) adjust the amp for proper operation without putting a signal on the air. That's where the dummy load comes in. Once (a) and (b) are done, the amp is switched to the tuner and all is ready to run. No further tuning needed.

Since everything prior to the output of the tuners will be operating at 50 ohms, I find that RG-8X is most adequate for up to legal limit power to 10M. It is much easier to physically configure for various stations and the related configurations.

For the stations I use a 30 amp switching supply with a distribution buss. It handles three transceivers and other station accessories without any issues.

My methods aren't the only way to handle multiple stations but my method works. I don't encounter any RFI issues, any band, any mode, any frequency up to legal limit power.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richards" <jrichards@k8jhr.com>