Re: [TenTec] Amplifier Question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Amplifier Question
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:20:11 -0500 (CDT)
The tubes come to life in about 1 second.  I usually wait until the fan
is at operating speed, typically 10 to 15 secs.

Watch the grid current.

I rarely look at FWD and REF values.  The PEAK meter tells me all I need
to know.

To tune,  always use a combination of drive from the exciter, adjust TUNE
for max output, increase drive while watching the Ig and Plate meters.
Adjust LOAD to keep Ig below 240 ma or the red line.  Keep moving drive
up until you reach max power, Plate current 0.8A max, Ig 240/260 ma max.

Do not retune if you wish to operate at lower power.  Just reduce drive.

73
Bob, K4TAX

> OK...
>
> 1)  How long do I need to wait before my Centurion amp is warmed up and
> ready to transmit?  The manual says nothing, and I am sure one should
> not key the exciter too soon.  But... how soon is too soon?
>
> 2)   What METER do you guys watch, and why?
>
> The right hand meter has four display options.  I usually watch the Ig
> (grid current) meter option, as the manual says this is the most
> important parameter to monitor.  It says it should not exceed 260 ma - I
> have never seen mine go above 240 ma at any exciter in level.  Just one
> reason I think this is an easy amp to tune.
>
> Does anyone monitor any of the other three meter settings?  If so, what
> are you looking for and why?
>
> The Plate meter hardly ever moves, and the FWD and REF settings do not
> seem very informative, because the scale markings are designed to convey
> Grid and Plate information, not power information - and the PEAK POWER
> meter on the right side more obviously indicates power out. I cannot
> imagine why one would watch the FWD or REF meter setting - but, know I
> still have a lot to learn...
>
> Any ideas?

Disclosure:
I am a Tentec Ambassador and compensated according to the Tentec
Ambassador plan. I serve as a volunteer beta test person for the Omni
VII, Eagle and Argonaut VI products.   Otherwise, I hold no business or
employment interest with Tentec.