Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 situation

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 situation
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 23:48:58 -0400

        Sheesh,  call the Waaahhm-bulance.

On 6/30/2013 7:49 PM, Mike Stricker wrote:

If Ten Tec can't get parts to produce radios, what would make us believe that they will be able to repair these radios in the future?

        There is no reason to expect anything at all.

        All one can expect is for TenTec to do its
        best, and hope for the best.   I doubt it gets
        any better from any other manufacturer.

I suspected this was going to happen ...

        No revelation here... I presume this will
        happen  to every radio made by every
        manufacture, eventually.

more fortunate to have sold it and gotten out of it unscathed.

        I cannot fathom what this means.

        Are you saying they will now all break now that
        they no longer make new ones?

        How would you have been injured if you still
        owned one.  Am I going to be injured or wronged
        when TT ceases supporting the Omni VII ?  Like
        every radio is intended to work and be supported
        forever?

The other 2 American manufacturers aren't much different or better.

        Nobody is.

Flex-Radio recently announced that they would not be producing/supporting the 5000 and when the Elecraft K3 was announced, no further firmware updates to the K2 were made

        Why do we expect radio manufacturers to
        maintain and further develop older rigs,
        indefinitely, or to support and develop
        them forever ?

I'm afraid that the reality is that we are all beta testers while we own the radio.

        Do you feel that way about cars?  Do you expect
        car manufacturers to continue to develop last
        year's model indefinitely?  Are manufacturers
        not allowed to move on and develop new products?

Just when we think they are solid, the manufacturer terminates production/support.

        Like every other industry... I suspect.

        But, this is  false statement - TT says it
        WILL continue support into the future, and
        there is no indication otherwise.  You have
        overstated the case.

We often rely on their promises and are let down.

        You should buy a Collins radio.  According the
        so many older hams, Collins radios are the best
        ever made, and I am sure the Collins company
        continues to support its radios yet today . . .

Just MY take.

        I DON'T UNDERSTAND ALL THIS WHINING AND
        GNASHING OF TEETH OVER THIS - THIS MIGHT
        SIGNAL THE DAWN OF A NEW ERA AND HEIGHTENED
        PROFITABILITY AT TT HQ.  WHY ARE SO MANY
        OF US PREDICTING DOOM GLOOM ???