Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 Situation

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 Situation
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 17:21:54 -0700
On 7/9/2013 5:03 PM, Email Service wrote:
it does not really bother me that the O2 has become obsolete.

I think you're reading FAR too much into Ten Tec's announcement by calling the O2 "obsolete." It would be obsolete it if had been replaced by a far superior model, or if it could not be repaired. As to that second condition, we all know enough about Ten Tec to know that it will be repairable for a LONG time.

As to the first condition -- I don't consider myself an authority on the overall quality of current ham rigs, but from a study of ARRL and Sherwood product reviews, and conversations with guys who are both first rate operators and very good engineers, the only radio I'd firmly put in a class with an O2 is a loaded K3/P3. Those Yaesu/Kenwood/Icom big boats are mondo expensive and they sure LOOK impressive, but I know VERY few top contesters or DXers who use them, and I know some who have owned them and sold them.

73, Jim K9YC