Re: [TenTec] Tuner

To: k9yc@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuner
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 02:45:12 -0400
Really?   Please explain.

I ask because Rick DJ0IP and I have both spent considerable time researching and building various OCF dipoles to build multiple-band antennas which do not depend (or which depend less) on a tuner or matchbox than other designs (e.g., a G5RV).

While I have yet to discover the Holy Grail of multi band antennas, the articles I read do not mention the limitations your cite. I am not arguing with you - I am just curious to know more, mindful of the paucity of other references thereto.

I took care to employ a substantial, heavy duty 4:1 balun specifically designed for the precise feed point offset I used - which is at the 25/75% position, and not at the usual 33/67% position - and this provides very low SWR on 40m and 20m and also allows operation on 15 meters, which is usually not possible with traditional OCF designs. My research and measurements indicate feed point impedance is approx 200 ohms, substantially lower than the usual 300 ohm figure typically realized at the traditional 23/67% offset.

The balun was designed to both transform impedance and block feed line radiation as a choke to minimize feed line radiation - not because I thought there would be more than a typical dipole, but just in case.

Thus, I ask for an additional gloss on your comment, because I cannot imagine how or why one would expect an OCF dipole to exhibit more feed radiation than it always has. That is a curious concept. I also cannot imagine it would be more susceptible to common mode noise than a regular coax-fed dipole. Ergo, pray tell more.

Thanks!