Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution

To: <n4py3@earthlink.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 17:23:49 +0200
Let's consider that one again, Carl.

If we place a 4:1 balun at the feedpoint of the 80m antenna, then we have
625 Ohms "Unbalanced" at the feedpoint on 40m. the math is correct, but
normally we would attach the coax to the bottom side of the balun, not
openwire.  The 625 ohms is a 12:1 SWR for the coax.  So we don't want to do
that.  And if we are going to run openwire, then we attach it directly to
the antenna, we don't use a balun at that point.

If we attach the openwire at the antenna and run it to the shack, into a 4:1
balun at the tuner, just what value the antenna system exhibits at that
point will depend on the length of the feedline.  Granted it appears a 4:1
balun would be a better match and usually it would be from an impedance
standpoint.  However if the SWR happens to be above 3:1 or so, the 4:1 balun
quickly loses its ability to impede common mode current and that is very
bad.  The 1:1 current balun does not.  Again as Jim says, we should be
calling it a choke, not a balun but old habits die hard.  So as long as your
matchbox is capable of matching whatever mismatch there is in the antenna
system, it's better to use a 1:1 balun (for the sake of impeding CMC) and
let the matchbox do the matching.

The real problem is the other way around, when you attach openwire feedline
to a 40m dipole and attempt to match it on 80m.
Now I know they recommend not to do this, but I've had a few QTH's where it
was my only way of getting on 80m.  I didn't have enough space for anything
else, so I ran this and worked lots of DX with it on 80. But it creates some
real challenges for the balun and the matchbox:

In this case the impedance is likely to be less than 10 Ohms at the
matchbox, but it also depends on the length of the feedline. Let's call it
12 Ohms for the sake of easy math.  The 4:1 balun at that point transforms
it in the wrong direction, down to 3 Ohms.  ALL matchboxes have high losses
when trying to deal with such low impedance.  Just read any ARRL test of any
matchbox and check the internal loss at this impedance.  Clearly the 12 Ohms
will be easier to match than 3 Ohms.  AND the 1:1 balun/choke (assuming it
is adequate for the job) will do its job of impeding the common mode
current, whereas the 4:1 balun will fail miserably.

On top of that, the voltage balun fails in any case.
The 238 has the wrong type of balun (voltage) and the wrong ratio (4:1).
Don't use it.
Use an external 1:1 current balun capable of dealing with the power level
you are using.
Jim (K9YC) has written an excellent paper on this topic. It is well worth
reading.

73
Rick, DJ0IP