Re: [TenTec] OT: Lightening Protection for Openwire/Window Line

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Lightening Protection for Openwire/Window Line
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 02:47:36 -0400
Interesting answers...

I am wary of any solution that leaves transmission lines loose and ungrounded. I have seen how lightning can arc from a disconnected cable across a desk and zap a radio. It my friend's SWL installation, but I doubt lightning cared what sort of radio it is toasting.

Thus, I am skeptical bout just opening a knife switch on the wall and not grounding the wires in some way. I am even a little worried about Joel's balanced arrestor acting alone on an unterminated (open) knife switch. I would ALSO ground the two wires on a buss bar. (See Wireman 857 and 858 - which I use.)

        I really like Stuart's notion of a double throw
        knife switch that grounds both sides when off
        the air.

Coax enters my shack via 8 inch bulk head connectors. I use a properly rated and grounded arrestor outside, and all disconnected lines are routed to a buss bar with extremely short RG-213 patch cables (using the same push on connectors Joel mentioned.) My theory is I can disconnect all my antennas and ground them directly, and separately, from the radios. The support masts are also grounded - and all grounds are bonded together - using four (4), 8-ft ground rods located about 4 to 6 feet from each other, they are all about 6 feet from the shack coax entry point.

My remote coax switch is grounded to this set of grounds, as well. I switch the system to the dummy load when I close the station. I disconnect the radios and patch the inside bulk head connector to the grounded buss bar - so any energy that gets past the outside arrestor (connected to the four ground stakes) is routed to the grounded buss bar and directed back outside, again to the four stakes. My only concern is that I may have created a ground loop that causes me problems, but so far, no problems.

As per above, I would never leave a disconnected wire or cable loose and ungrounded (disconnected)-- all unused lines are routed directly to the grounded buss bar with a very short, heavy patch cable. I use screw on connectors for HF antennas, and push on connectors for the SWL and VHF scanner antennas as I think the screw type provide better (tighter) and more positive electrical connection. (K4TAX taught me about snugging up connections early on...)

Just My take, anyway.