Re: [TenTec] Argo V amp keying

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argo V amp keying
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 08:46:31 +0200
The delay circuit I referred to "is" exactly the same as used in the Model
318 amp keyer.
It uses a 100 uF capacitor and then a 10K pot in series with a 680 Ohm
resistor to ground.

For an understanding of what's going on here, a good description is given by
Phil Salas, AD5X
HERE:  http://www.ad5x.com/images/Articles/QSKDelay.pdf
Pay particular attention to the second full paragraph "QSK Un-Key Timing".

In that paper Phil describes the problem and shows how he solved it for the
IC-706.
I would not use his circuit with the Argo V because he only included a fixed
delay.
It is much more practical to have a variable delay.

In fact the easiest solution for the ArgoV guy who doesn't want to drill a
lot of holes, etc., would probably be to purchase the Model 318 Amp Keyer
and let it take care of the Un-Key timing. It has a delay control on its
front panel.
But you still have to key the 318 somehow from the Argo V.
You could do that by using the circuit Brian Lee referred to, AND you can
even leave the relay out and simply use the 2N2222 tranistor to key the 318
AMP Keyer.

"Cut into" is a bit harsh.  You don't have to cut anything.  You simply
solder a short piece of wire onto any of the several points where the "T"
signal is available.  In older rigs it was on the plug/jack of just about
every pc board. I haven't studied the Argo V circuit and never seen the
insides of one, but it can't be too difficult.  Then use that signal to key
the 2N2222.

I would mount the circuit from Brian inside the Argo V and feed the keying
line for the 318 out thru the unused pin (Pin-4) of the ACC socket on the
back.

73
Rick, DJ0IP