Re: [TenTec] Wet ladderline

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Wet ladderline
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 19:00:41 +0100
Dean,

With respect, TLW doesn't agree with my results!

Taking the " 450-Ohm Window Ladder Line" option, 60ft long, with a 50 Ohm load, at 29.5MHz TLW predicts a loss of 0.356dB - that's almost exactly half the 0.71dB loss I measured in Test 7.

It's no coincidence that there is a 2:1 discrepancy - the TLW data and the Antenna Book table entries for 450 Ohm window are optimistic by almost exactly that factor.

Let's do some simple maths:

1) Suppose we inject 1A into the Ladder Line under matched conditions. Zo is quoted as 405 Ohms so the line input power must be 405W. 2) At 10MHz the RF resistance of 100ft of #18 solid copper wire is 8.6 Ohms; so, flowing 1A the copper loss is 8.6W for each wire, making 16.2W total for the two wires.
3) So line output power = 405W - 16.2W = 388.8W
4) Therefore line loss is 10*Log(Pout/Pin) = 10*Log(388.8/405) = 0.18dB

That's just over twice the Antenna Book figure (0.08dB) and the TLW figure (0.082dB).

I know this has been pointed out many times, but it never seems to get corrected.

If you can see anything wrong with my maths, please let us know.

73,
Steve G3TXQ