Re: [TenTec] Antenna is up, but the coupler doesn't like 160 meters

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna is up, but the coupler doesn't like 160 meters
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 17:35:40 +0200
Buy a wooden wine barrel,
pour the contents into another container (for future use),
and wrap the feedline around the barrel.

BTW, I believe 1/8 wavelength on 160m is something more like 66 ft., not 33
ft. - but you need to apply the velocity factor to these numbers.  However
it is absolutely NON-CRITICAL;  we're not trying to hit a specific impedance
by adding more feedline, we're just trying to bring it within matching
range.

Often 1/16 wavelength is enough to bring the impedance within matching
range.

If I were you I would at least try the experiment with longer cable.  Run it
anywhere you can for the temporary test.
I used to just run it near the ceiling inside the shack.  A couple of times
back and forth across the room should be enough.

QUESTION:  What is the reading on the Capacitor scale when you're getting
the best SWR ?  Is it full scale on position 5?  If so then you definitely
need more capacitance, but don't use too much capacitance. Sounds like you
may have inserted too much capacitoance.

Try this.  If you have an old broadcast variable capacitor (3x 365 pF), use
it to try a test.  You can try one gang, then parallel two gangs.  USING
*LOW POWER*, check if you can get a better SWR.  If so, then you know what
you have to do.  Buy a proper capacitor that will cope with the voltage AND
current required.

73
Rick, DJ0IP