Re: [TenTec] Antenna is up, but the coupler doesn't like 160 meters

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna is up, but the coupler doesn't like 160 meters
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 09:53:35 +0200
Semantics.

I learned yet another meaning of the word doublet.

I think we agree that the word "dipole" alone means a half wavelength
radiator, fed in the middle.
We 300 Ohm is used as Jim described, I have always referred to it as a
folded dipole, even though real folded dipoles have the two horizontal wires
spaced farther apart.

Whenever a random length of wire was fed in the middle, I called it a
doublet.
So a dipole is always a doublet but a doublet is only a dipole when it is
exactly a half wavelength long.

I have often used the word doublet when working with openwire fed antennas
because they are often not cut to a specific half wavelength some band.

I'm not saying my way is correct, but that's what the boys called them 50
years ago in the Texas/Oklahoma neck of the woods.

73
Rick, DJ0IP