Re: [TenTec] Omni C + new Ham = Oops.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni C + new Ham = Oops.
From: <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:57:19 +0000
In regards to the statement below, which is correct, one of he worst things you
can do is use too small of an iron.  It causes one to linger and twist around
on the connection trying to get the connection to melt and inevitably damages
the board.  It is much better to use high heat quickly. (within reason of
course)  I have good luck with high heat, and either a spring loaded solder
sucker or a vacuum desoldering iron sometimes augmented with another iron at
the same time.  The key is quickly.  Heat it till it fully flows, pull the
solder off and lift the lead all in about 3 to 5 seconds.  All of my
soldering/desoldering gear is Hakko including a hot air rework station.  On a
job like the PA you need an iron/tip that has enough thermal mass to deliver
heat until the job is done.  Smaller iron/tip combinations sink off the heat
quickly and wilt on something like this.  The tip on the iron I use for PA
replacements is probably 1/4” wide.  Of course it’s used more often on my tube
type radio point to point work than PA’s but you get the point.

Dental tools are handy too...for lifting leads.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Cecil Acuff
Gulfport MS
K5DL