Re: [TenTec] Omni C + new Ham = Oops.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni C + new Ham = Oops.
From: Dave Edwards <kd2e@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 15:32:34 -0400
You are probably doing more soldering than I do, and I would not want to be without my
solder station.
I had the nice Weller one...with digital readout of tip temperature. But as slick as it was, it just
one day crapped out.
Replaced it with a Hakko station. Still using it.
The trick is not on the wattage of the iron, but in the tip being used.
I have several tips that go from what you are talking about...down to SMD stuff. If I have to solder a wire to a chassis...or heavy boat anchor transformer wires, I break out
the old Weller gun.
Not a new Weller gun...with the set screws holding the tip. They are junk.
The old ones with a nut holding down the tip are the ones to have. Plenty found at garage sales,
flea markets, and tons on ebay....but of course, you pay premium there!!
....Dave