Re: [TenTec] 160 meters, ten ted 238 tuner, part two

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160 meters, ten ted 238 tuner, part two
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 19:54:33 +0000
Jim,

I'm  surprised you feel so strongly!

Throughout your RFI tutorial I see many references to the term "current balun". In a couple of places you put the term in parenthesis, or explain that it is really a common-mode choke; but in many other places the term is unqualified, and clearly is describing a common-mode choke. Chapter 6 is even headed "Baluns". In my view, anyone reading the paper could be forgiven for thinking that the correct term to use is "current balun".

Personally I have no problem with the term; if you choke (impede) common-mode currents, you are driving current balance.

73,
Steve G3TXQ