Re: [TenTec] 160 meters, ten ted 238 tuner, part two

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160 meters, ten ted 238 tuner, part two
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 19:20:49 +0100
Jim, older hams will grasp it.
Many hams now days just aren't very technical at all, but the ALL have a
need to gain a basic understanding.
For the novice, it's tough to understand.

You said: "It took me years to figure this stuff out."
And you are a very smart engineer.
It took me many more years than you.
The sad thing is, about 10 years ago I thought I understood it.
Thanks to participating in this group, through you and Steve, I realized
that I hadn't even scratched the surface.
Much of what I had learned was simply wrong.  I had to unlearn.

The first time I read your RFI-Ham, I was impressed at your competence on
the subject and how thorough the information was, but it was over my head.
And actually, I was a pretty good technician back in the days I was working
my way through college.  Many hams are from other fields and not very
technical.  Yet we all have a need to understand this stuff.

I can tell you what was missing in your RFI-Ham.
Nice simple color drawings explaining the problem.
Most people don't understand the problem, so they don't take much interest
in finding the solution.

Ian (GM3SEK) does a wonderful job of using color pictures to explain the
problem.
He does a nice job of explaining the basics of the solutions in laymen's
terms.
And then he refers them to your paper (RFI-ham).

I read your paper 3 times cover to cover before it finally began to sink in.
Each time I read it, I gleaned more from it.
Now I use it as a reference document for specifics on what I want to do.

Your PowerPoint presentation was better for beginners than RFI-ham.

I think what helps a beginner to understand all of this is to hear it
explained by different people in different ways.
At first, not much makes much sense.  Then it begins to sink in.
Then after reading several papers and looking at several presentations, then
going back and starting over, reading them all again, more of the meat
begins to sink in.  Eventually one begins to come up to speed.

But then we have the problem of semantics.
When people use a term, like current balun, not everybody understands the
same meaning of that word.

I guess what's missing in general is the common perception of the need to
understand this stuff.
People just don't realize how important it is to our hobby.

Anyway, thanks for the contribution you've made.

73
Rick, DJ0IP