Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 238 coupler and 160 meters

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 238 coupler and 160 meters
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 22:30:02 +0000
Sure it does!

The losses in feedline at HF are overwhelming due to I^2R copper losses. If you look at the current distribution along a matched line it's flat; for example, flowing 50W into a matched 50 Ohm load the current will be a steady 1A along the line. Now look at the current distribution when the line is terminated in 500 Ohms (SWR=10:1); there's a current minimum of 0.316A at the load and the current increases as you move back along the line from the load. Far enough back from the load the current will peak at 3.16A, but for electrically short lengths of line the RMS average of the current distribution will be well below 1A and so the losses will be lower than in the matched case.

Try it in VK1OD's calculator; but don't try it in a calculator that only accepts SWR rather than load impedance - they can't possible give you an accurate answer under these conditions.

Steve G3TXQ