Re: [TenTec] What's Going to be Next

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What's Going to be Next
From: Carl Moreschi <n4py3@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 16:20:56 -0500
I said this before and I will say this again. Rob Sherwood agrees with me on this. And I know I am going to get beat up on this but I'm tired of hearing wrong things about RF gain.

RF gain has absolutely no effect on signal to noise ratio. Reducing RF gain reduces the noise. But it also reduces the signal in the same proportion. It is useful to reduce the RF gain in situations where the signal is much higher than the noise so that noise is not heard in between transmissions. But to hear the very weakest signals, the RF gain must be high enough to hear some noise.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com