Re: [TenTec] Power supply types

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Power supply types
From: "Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]" <peter@frenning.dk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 09:11:02 +0100
Den 21-01-2014 08:54, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP skrev:
What is the probability of us actually getting ANYTHING these days that is
properly-designed, and engineered ?
Competition in the form of cost and time to market pressure are driving the
trend in the other direction.

NOW THEN, assuming both are good but not perfect, what is the probability of
type generating some amount of noise?

I won't answer that, I'll just point people to the ARRL power supplies tests
over the past 5 or 6 years.  They show the noise for each switching power
supply tested.  I can't recall ever seeing them showing noise on a linear
supply, just ripple.

I'm glad we have both types.  I prefer a linear supply at home and a
switcher for portable.

My linear supply was home brew by me in 1980 and usually ran 24x7 until 2007
when I moved to the states and left it here. Since I'm back it's running
24x7 again. (It was only 230v).

What is the probability of most of today's switchers still running you years
from now?

73 - Rick, DJ0IP

Well, my 45A switcher (MFJ-4245MV), bought in the States in 1998, has been running 18/7 ever since - no noise, that I can detect, on any of the HAM-bands, no problems (except for instrument lights burning out) and the occasional cleaning for accumulated dust

--
Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

** If at first you don't succeed, try   **
** doing it the way your wife told you! **
**                       -- Unknown     **
email: peter(no-spam filler)@frenning.dk
http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
Ph. +45 4619 3239/ +45 2332 9464
Snailmail: