Re: [TenTec] Paragon II LSB/USB audio differences.

To: Mark Kenward <k8vf_mark@centurytel.net>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon II LSB/USB audio differences.
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 08:37:35 -1000
Mark,

How did you set the BFO frequencies? What measuring device did you use? And what frequency reference is it based on? Some sort of counter with a built in reference oscillator? How do you know it is accurate?

How are you determining that the USB and LSB transmit signals are so different? Listening with some other receiver? I would suggest that you listen with a receiver that has a really wide IF filter, such as the 15 kHz filter used for AM or narrow band FM. And listen in either DSB mode, or AM mode with a BFO turned on. This is to avoid having differences in the receiver's LSB/USB performance from making you think your transmitter has a problem. The problem could be incorrect BFO frequencies and/or non symmetrical filter in the receiver.

You might try bypassing the 2.4 kHz filter altogether for a test. Then you will be generating a DSB signal, which should sound identical on either sideband. (I am not sure how much attenuation there is in that filter, so there is the possibility of over driving the the first stage after the filter, but turning down the mic gain should compensate. I also don't know whether DC continuity through this path would cause trouble, so if you bypass the filter you should do it with a capacitor and not just a wire jumper. You may want to try listening directly to the 9 MHz IF signal before it gets heterodyne converted to whatever band you are operating on.

I set the reference oscillator, and adjusted the passband tuning frequencies.
Should only affect receive performance, transmit IF does not go through PBT board.

I even tried replacing the 9mHz 2.4 filter, to no avail, same situation.
Try bypassing as described above.

(I was actually hoping there was an adjustment to center the sidebands in the balanced modulator loop,
I don't know what you mean by this.
 I dont twirl slugs or caps just to "see" what will happen, ha ha ha)
A good philosophy.

DE N6KB