Re: [TenTec] How much for an Orion III?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How much for an Orion III?
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 22:22:58 -0400

On 4/12/2014 9:21 AM, Rsoifer@aol.com wrote:

TT says that they  plan to emphasize  "affordable"
products, and I'm sure that's a good business decision.   Rather, I'm saying
that if they do bring out a new "flagship" radio, make it the  best on the
market, as the KWM-2 and the 565 Orion were when they came  out.

That makes sense. No matter what the price break, there is no sense coming out with second rate goods. It should be the best $X,xxx.00 rig on the market.

So, what you mean is ... it must be a Ten-Tec.    ;-)   Right?

Parenthetically... while we are talking about what we want in our next radio...

I am feeling kinda stud this week. I sold my Brand X radio, so I have a pile of extra change rattling in my piggy bank. I have an Omni VII and Orion II, but having the scratch to do it... I tried desperately to justify buying another radio... really I did! But, when I compared ALL the specifications and analyzed all the factors that matter to me, I just could not do it. And, while I really wanted to buy a new radio, and many models looked good, I did not find anything that is substantially BETTER than what I have now. The only thing missing is a panadapter, but with N4PY software, and the German FiFi SDR kit I built, it comes pretty close. Um... ah... Did I mention how much I want to buy another radio?? I suppose I could get a Flex, or a K3, or really blow a wad on the FTdx5000, but I cannot see where how that would be substantially BETTER than what I have. Bottom line: would I make any more contacts with another radio? Would I win the next contest? or... Would I lose if I just use my current radios, instead? Would I have any more sex appeal? ;-) Er... Nope, on all points, especially the latter!

So I decided I am really well enough off as it is, and I decided my station is pretty nice already! I don't have any regrets and am not jealous (not that the other guys don't have good radios... just that I have no reason to feel inadequate or behind. And that, friends, is pretty cool.

However... Please don't tell my young bride that I have spare change in the piggy bank, or else she will get big ideas! ;-)

So I fired up the OrionII today and easily checked into the TT Owners Net, quickly cutting through the pileup with my dopey old dipole. I enjoyed listening the others check in, and Norm, WB4YBY, you have AWESOME AUDIO, as does Jack W4KBI in Fla, and I was PROUD as Heck to be one of the gang.