Re: [TenTec] Alpha Amplifiers and TEN-TEC Merge

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Alpha Amplifiers and TEN-TEC Merge
From: "Jack Emerson" <w4tje@wiredog.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 23:25:48 -0400
My experience was similar.
About 3 years' ago, I had to replace the top yagi on my tower. I decided to go with the HY-GAIN LongJohn 15m yagi. Since I already had 2 of the older HY-GAINS on the tower, it made a natural fit. BIG MISTAKE. 28 days after getting a new LongJohn yagi and putting it on top of the tower, we had a minor wind storm here, about 50 mph winds. THE ELEMENTS STARTED BREAKING OFF!! Before the winter was over, I had nothing but a boom with 5 sheared off elements left. My 15 m top yagi looked like an extra long 2m yagi. When the first element broke off, I measured it against an extra yagi that was stored in my barn and discovered that the end tip elements were thinner than the elements that had been produced when the company was HY-GAIN. The end result was over a thousand extra dollars spent, because MFJ had thinned the inner tubing of my element tips.

And to this day, the older, original HY-GAIN yagis are still intact, having just survived yet another winter here on the crest of the blue ridge in southwestern Virginia.

To summarize, HY-GAIN is not the same company since being purchased by MFJ, and I have the sheared off element tips to prove it.

73 de Jack W4TJE

-----Original Message----- From: Dave Edwards