Re: [TenTec] Alpha Amplifiers and TEN-TEC Merge

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Alpha Amplifiers and TEN-TEC Merge
From: Jim Allen <jim.allen@longhornband.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 10:26:11 -0500
It won't be easy, and never has been.

If you are in the business, you have to regard the appearance of $39 dual
band h/t's with disquietude, because once you start seeing $100 h/f
transceivers, it won't be good.  Those will be pretty lousy radios, even
for so-called "entry level" but like the Japanese radios and cars, they
keep on getting better, and eventually they will be decent radios.  How
long "eventually" turns out to be is anybody's guess.

In spite of that, those who have never owned a business would be dismayed
to realize all the ways to go wrong. Decisions made, and not made,
countless in number, every day will mean the difference between failure and
survival and success.  Who you hire, who you fire, where you locate, how
you size up to produce your product, how much advertizing, which hamfests
you go to and how many staffers renting how many cars and hotel rooms and
hats, and trinkets, how much you spend on quality control, or not, and a
lot mores besides.  Decisions you must make today may turn out shrewdly or
badly depending on what happens tomorrow or next week, or next year.  Your
godless competitors are going to make things even more tricky!  You are
probably like Yogi Berra who claimed "[his] forecasting was none too good,
especially when it pertained to the future."  It's a tricky business!

73 de W6OGC  Jim Allen