Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 00:32:51 +0200
Carter,

Most of the time this type of problem is caused by common mode current.
I don't think the 25' away from the house is the problem.
The problem would be an imbalance in the current on the feedline.

I can't say whether or not something is wrong with your OMVI.
Of course it is possible.

However my recommendation is an RF choke on the openwire.
YES, there is such an animal!

I don't know if you can buy them ready-built in the states but you can buy
them here.
They are also very easy to build if you can't buy them.
What you do is build a short thin openwire using two 18" pieces of Teflon
insulated wire secured side by side.
Use heat shrink tubing to secure them.  They will have about 100 Ohms, but
that doesn't matter for just 18 inches.
Then slip a string of ferrite beads over them.  Best would be #43 material.
You can use the same ones used for RG-213.
Use wire ties each side of the stack of toroids to prevent slippage.
You can then place a large heat-shrink tube over the thing to make it look
neat.

Run your openwire into one end of this just before the matchbox.
The connect the other end directly to the JV matchbox.

There is a good chance that this will solve your problem, but of course I
can't promise it.
With just 100w, Teflon insulation may not be necessary but it should be
something that can withstand a little bit of heat without melting.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)