Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?
From: Cecil <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 09:21:14 -0500
I can agree with "All lightning protection must BEGIN outside the structure."

But the fact is we, by the very nature of building a radio station, have
invited lightning inside by virtue of multiple copper paths.  Our various
feedlines, rotor control cables, remote antenna switch cables etc..

We have to build a last line of defense inside the shack to deal with, as
effectively as possible, whatever remaining strike potential makes it through
our outside defenses.

Tying those two protection systems together is not inviting the energy
in...it's extending the protection all the way to the equipment we are working
so hard to protect.

Of course there are two camps..I have a friend that believes don't ground
anything...including the tower....that encourages...invites a lightning strike
to occur.

Everybody knows lightning seeks the best path to ground...

I guess the best course is to do what makes one sleep best at night....

Cecil
K5DL

Sent from my iPad