Re: [TenTec] Emergency Networks

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Emergency Networks
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 16:09:08 -0700
On 5/22/2014 3:57 PM, Stuart Rohre wrote:
The CW and RTTY low end of the bands crowd have the attention of the ARRL Board now, and the Board hopefully will come up with a co- existence plan Such that CW / RTTY and other low power modes won't be displaced by modes having a SSB bandwidth. And digital users will have to listen for other modes before transmitting.

I have no reason to believe that is true -- indeed, at Dayton, I heard an ARRL director quoted as saying the League is "dug in" and have no intention of backing away. I am strongly against their petition, for the reasons Stuart has cited.

Here's the issue. Up to now, broadband digital modes are pretty much useless for data communications because of the 300 baud limitation, even though 2.8 kHz bandwidth is permitted on both CW and SSB segments of the bands. With the 300 Baud limit removed, there are many, including me, who believe that the CW bands will be filled with 2.8 kHz wide internet routers, many of them moving traffic to boats around the world.

Put simply, implementation of this petition could easily kill CW and narrow data modes -- heck, it might even kill those so-called traffic nets on 20M!

73, Jim K9YC