Re: [TenTec] Orion I no tx/rx

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion I no tx/rx
From: Carl Moreschi <n4py3@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:26:11 -0400
yes.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 7/10/2014 10:19 AM, Barry N1EU wrote:
Carl, do you mean the ribbon cable connectors?

Barry N1EU
<http://www.tentecwiki.org/doku.php?id=565battery>

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Carl Moreschi<n4py3@earthlink.net>  wrote:

This sounds like the classic dirty connector behind the front panel
problem.

There's a couple of connectors with about 200 connections on it behind the
Orion front panel. There's so many connections that you can get almost any
symptom from this. These connections should have been gold but they are
not.  So they need to be cleaned.

It's actually not very difficult to get to.  You remove the front panel.
Then unplug the big connectors and spray them thoroughly with a good
electrical contact cleaner.  Then, while they are wet, plug and unplug them
about 20 times to clean them.

I had this on my Orion when it had intermittent symptoms and this
completely fixed it.

After doing this do a complete reset as follows:

1) Power off Orion.

2) Power On holding the VFO B LCK button.

3) Continue holding LCK button until the radio says "Battery Failure".

4) Power off Orion.

5) Power on holding "Main RX/TX" button.

6) Continue holding this button until the radio says reset complete.

7) Do not clear any settings when asked to do so.

8) Power the Orion off and back on one more time.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com