Re: [TenTec] Model 1225 SWR and Wattmeter Kit

To: <n4py3@earthlink.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Model 1225 SWR and Wattmeter Kit
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 20:58:48 -0500
Carl I totally agree.

Most watt meters are accurate or most accurate at only their calibrated impedance. Which in most cases we presume to be 50 ohms. Thus if one is using it with an antenna of unknown impedance, the power value display is most likely unknown as well. However, using one of these for forward and reflected values is usually satisfactory as the SWR value is a ratio.

For fact, my Celwave dummy load is 50.5 ohms while my MFJ gallon of oil dummy load is 54 ohms cold and about 58 ohms hot. The dry MFJ dummy load impedance also varies with temperature of the resistor. With these loads, a given watt meter will show different values of indicated power.

Just do the math, being square root of (P x R) to solve for E and one will see that the voltage changes with a change in R. For this reason I prefer to measure the voltage across the load and do the math being E squared / R for watts. To measure the voltage I have a HP RF voltmeter which has a 1% FS accuracy. It and the Celwave load gets really close to the real or absolute power value.

Calculating power meters such as the LP-100A become a bit more costly.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py3@earthlink.net>