Re: [TenTec] Scout has vy low Pwr out on some bands

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scout has vy low Pwr out on some bands
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 17:48:17 +0200
Tnx for your answer, Wes.

I meant to say "LOW PASS FILTER" (for the final amp), not BPF.
The BPF is only used for the RX and it is working OK.

IMO it must be this LPF circuit, and it has just 2 coils and 3 caps.
But of course you can't really get at it to see or measure anything.
(Murphy)

I don't agree with your logic (but I am not sure).
Normally the input to the bridge (from the LPF) would be a nominal 50 Ohms
and on the dummy as it is, also 50 Ohms.
If either side changes, it causes an imbalance and shows high SWR.

I think I'm going to have to get out a BIG soldering iron and try to remove
the metal shielding around the circuit so that I can pull and measure the 5
components in the LPF.  I hope I don't burn up the board.

But first I'm going to try bypassing the LPF entirely and just running the
power straight to the dummy.
If it's 50 Ohms, then I will know the problem is the LPF.
It's easy in theory but tough to get at inside the radio.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)