[TenTec] SOFTWARE at WRTC

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] SOFTWARE at WRTC
From: John Henry <jhenry@tentec.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:48:41 -0400
Rick is right, there are a lot of teams that run their contesting on the
weekends based upon their contest software, period. At the time they chose
the rig, they also chose the software logging program they wanted to use,
and standardized on it, worked with it for months/years to get it working
the way they wanted it to, understood every button push on the control
program, every nuance with the rig, all in the vane of contact speed.
The Eagle is new, and is not supported in omni-rig, so, the Eagle is not
even considered by many for their contesting. Period. End of Story for them.
BUT, it is considered by those same folks for personal use because of it's
performance. BUT WILL NOT make it to their contest station because of the
lack of support by omni-rig or whatever their choice for the club software
is. Period, End of Story.

It is what it is.

Now, with that in mind, the Eagle commandset is a subset of the
Orion/OrionII, so for CAT developers to add the Eagle is a very minor
change, when it queries the rig, have it permit the rig model of 539
instead of 565/566.
Some CAT software developers balk at another item. (which I myself
personally find a ludicrous excuse and makes me wonder....) They see a USB
cable, and automatically think it requires a different protocol or
mechanism because it is USB. Well, the driver tells it to use the Windows
provided usb to serial driver usbser.sys, which means, in the end, the cat
program can simply open a com port, exactly the same way it opens a com
port for other RS232 DB9 serial rigs. No difference. N4PY knows this, N1MM
knows this, HRD knows this, etc.

Now, why doesn't it work with wintest/cwskimmer/dxatlas/cwsoft/etc? Well,
no one has added a working ini file for the Eagle, nor the Argonaut VI. I
myself would add it, but I do not use any of these other programs and have
none of them installed, so I have no idea how they work together, where to
start, etc. Yes I've been sent emails on this, the link to other ini files,
etc. I've reviewed them and believe I could take on that task, but then I
do need to download the xx software, and the yyy software, and get them
working, then I'd have to be the service point for changing the ini as
others come in and find other commands they need added. I don't have time
to service 3rd party software. Getting slammed as it is.

For the xX and the xXX, there are hams that wrote the ini file the day the
rig was public. Why won't anyone do that for the Eagle? hmmmm, makes me
wonder....

I'd gladly send someone an Eagle on loan if they would take the time to do
this, but, well, takers? I'm skeptical. Sorry. Been asking this for a year
now, some have asked for it for 2 years now, guess I will need to work some
more weekends ....

Thanks, and 73,
John Henry, KI4JPL
TEN-TEC Engineering, a Division of RFConcepts LLC