Re: [TenTec] SOFTWARE at WRTC

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SOFTWARE at WRTC
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 23:43:44 +0200
SRI Ron, you are WAY OUT THERE!

First of all, the WIN-TEST authors didn't write their software for any rig.
They wrote an API for omnirig.
Omnirig gave them compatibility to a hundred radios.  (roughly)
With one single driver on their side, they automatically have access to a
hundred radios or more.

Unfortunately Omnirig doesn't support the Eagle.

Next, I'm not talking about getting an invitation to join some local contest
team.
I'm speaking of joining a team of teams that has broken ever record there is to
break and consistently, more than any other team wins the team contesting
championship.

"We" (you and I) cannot dictate our wishes to operations like that.  They are
well defined and will achieve their goals with or without us.  Our only choice
is to be a part of it or not.

I think you are thinking in a lower league than I'm referring to.
I'm not speaking about joining a group that wants to win the contest.
I'm talking about joining a team that wants to win the team contesting trophy.
A team that is not satisfied unless they hold the world record.
This means scoring the most points in all the contests, all year long.
It's a major endeavor.  It's not a hobby anymore.
(and I don't like it anymore)

I dropped out of that league because it was no fun anymore.
They were taking things too serious.
I prefer contesting with my Eagle.
I'm still a club member and they get my points to help them towards their goal,
but it's reached the point that it's over the top.  It's not a hobby anymore.
It's a passion.

You have misunderstood the problem with the Eagle.
John Henry's proposal came today.
The omnirig problem is 3 years old and I have been fighting it to no avail.
The writers of Omnirig just don't want to be bothered to do a driver for the
Eagle.
They told me to write it myself or find someone to write it for me.
I tried and failed.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)